Associate artistic director
The Associate Artistic Director is a key player in the functioning of The Playwrights Realm. They will provide productorial, administrative, literary management, and dramaturgical support and act as the Founding Artistic Director’s deputy, working to achieve The Realm’s programmatic goals, offer a consistent level of playwright support services, maintain high standards for artistic quality, take risks, and provide a supportive playwright-centric environment. Realm staff all work to embody the values of anti-racism, and the Associate Artistic Director will do this through an awareness of their role as a gatekeeper, and by working to set up a safe space for artists while still providing the room to challenge paradigms and have difficult conversations when needed.
· Oversee all playwright support programs: Scratchpad Series, Writing Fellowship, Page One Residencies and Alumni Playwrights Programs. Produce Scratchpad Readings, Next Edition Series Readings, Writing Fellow’s internal readings and Ink’d Festival. Work with Writing Fellowship Dramaturg and Founding Artistic Director to run fellowship program. Oversee Page One Residencies and manage Alumni Playwrights Program.
· Run The Realm’s two open application processes, Writing Fellowship and Scratchpad Series, including: soliciting applications, receiving, tracking and processing 800+ submissions a year.
· Manage Artistic Assistant, interns, and outside consultants for the Artistic Department. Work collaboratively with all Realm staff to achieve company objectives.
· Consult with Founding Artistic Director in season planning process. As needed, provide dramaturgical and artistic support to Founding Artistic Director in the development and producing of the season.
Other Responsibilities include:
· Plan playwright support or professional development services for the larger community of Realm Playwrights.
· Oversee literary management and a system for tracking and sourcing designers, directors, early-career playwrights, and other artists. Build The Realm’s knowledge of artists to work with in the future and help cultivate those relationships.
· Represent the Realm publically; engage with industry and advocate both for The Realm and its writers.
· Assist Development and Marking Departments with writing for newsletters, website, and as needed with other elements related to artistic programing.
· Provide general support for the Founding Artistic Director, as needed, in such areas as fundraising, community outreach, research and writing, audience and donor cultivation, meeting scheduling, and general organization.
The ideal candidate will have 5 or more years of artistic, producing, literary or other equivalent experience relevant to the above responsibilities. Candidates should have: Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to organize and prioritize work (with a strong facility for multi-tasking); excellent interpersonal skills, especially skills to build collaborative relationships with artistic teams; a good sense of humor; strong work ethic; and of course, possess a passion for theatre, playwrights, and new plays.
While many strong candidates may come from a literary management, dramaturgy or producing background, candidates with core competencies to fit this job who come from other areas will be given strong consideration as well. This will be a full-time position, artists interested in pursuing frequent outside projects are not encouraged to apply.
The Associate Artistic Director will join a dedicated and talented team of passionate professionals at an exciting time for The Realm. The Playwrights Realm is committed to anti-racist ideals, equity, and inclusion. We acknowledge that we all have implicit biases and will work to combat these. We strongly encourage candidates of color or those from underrepresented communities to apply.
Compensation: $55-60K. Benefits include health insurance, paid family leave, commuter benefits, and two weeks paid vacation plus holiday office closures.
Ideal start date: Early March.
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Associate Artistic Director”. Applications will be accepted through January 31st.
For more information about The Playwrights Realm, visit our website: www.playwrightsrealm.org.